Monday, August 16, 2010

The Great Debate-To Twilight or Not?

When it comes to Twilight, Mack and Becks don't argue Team Edward vs. Team Jacob. It's Team Twilight (Mack) vs. Twilight hater (Becks), and this debate will rage until either the end of time, or they find something better to argue about, whichever comes first.

Here are the stats:

Mack:

Read all 4 books in 1 week, reread them all several times.
Lost count of Twilight viewings (has a home copy)
Lost count  of New Moon viewings (has a home copy)
Saw Eclipse once, but dying to see it again and get a home copy
Team Edward or Team Jacob? Duh! Team Edward, of course.   

Becks:

Read the books once while I had a sinus infection from hell coupled with kidney stones.  It was all my friend had on hand that I hadn't read.  It was painful to read then and it is still painful now!

I watched the first Twilight move and laughed hysterically.  I got shushed and glared at.

New Moon Movie came out and I went with a party of girls.  Jacob strips off his shirt Chip-n-Dales style and I burst out "THAT'S IT???"  More shushing and glares.

Downloaded pirated copy of Eclipse and kept on thinking... wow, what's with the crazy eye brows?  The make up artist went hog wild with a charcoal pencil.

I am Team Neither.  They both whine over Bella too much.  I am Team Get a Life Boys!





Mack's opinion:

I loved all the Twilight books because they were fast reads and the story completely sucked me in. (no pun intended) Say what you will about SM's writing style, I think she came up with an interesting story. She strung out the "Will Bella become a vampire?" question for nearly 2000 pages and I still wanted to know up until the end. And, yes, I got kinda swoony over Edward. Was he the perfect boyfriend? No, but he was the perfect fictional boyfriend. It's not like I'm going to meet a super strong/fast, forever-17 vampire who loves the way I smell in real life, but it's okay to have a little fantasy in your life. Was Bella the smartest girl in the world? No, but if she was...um, where would the story go? I loved Edward's sweet way of talking and his care for Bella. Don't we all wish a guy would treat us like that? (Okay, minus the slightly stalkerish behavior). But, still, IT'S A BOOK! Why not have fun? As for the movies, I usually don't like movies made from books, but the casting of RPatz was genius! Some people criticize his acting skills, but I will be brutally honest when I say WHO CARES! Looking at him was enough for me. And, he redeemed himself in Remember Me, which wasn't even a good movie, but he was good in it. I give a thumbs up for the books and the movies.

Becks Opinion:

Hmmm.... I don't like vampire books at all.  Makes me queasy.  I was able to actually read the books due to the fact that the Vamp parts were toned down.  I had to keep on reminding myself that these were geared towards teen girls and so the writing was going to be simpler.  I tried to look past the writing style and the excessive extra stuff like showering, eating, swallowing (I thought I was going to go nuts on a few mundane parts) and my least favorite... the long (and I mean LOOONG) build up to fight scenes.  Do we really have to review every second of every day JUST to get to the juicy fight scene that lasted only ONE chapter???  Drives me crazy.  The movies were not much better.  I went with my best friend and for some odd reason we kept on laughing over the tender moments.  The kissing scene, I admit, was steamy.  For all those who need an alternative to Twilight craziness I suggest Hunger Games (love it when the girl can kick butt) and I am a firm Team Peeta!

4 comments:

  1. Mack: I agree. Twilight is *fun*, and that's the draw. I enjoy a bit of Twilight-ness every now and again. However, I'm totally Team Jacob, because he would be absolutely stinking amazing if it were real life and he wasn't a dog. (<--The truth.)

    Becks: I agree about the fight scenes (Breaking Dawn. What. A. Let-down.) and whatnot.

    But, overall, Twilight's just a silly thing that's kind of fun to play with now and then. ;D

    And, really, those boys seriously needed to focus on something else for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Madeleine! Hoo-ya Team Twilight--Mack

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Twilight Opinion: The books weren't well written, BUT I enjoyed the story while reading it. I squealed over Jacob for a good year, and was immediately cured of it when I started reading other YA books--like Hunger Games.

    Team Peeta FTW! XD I can't wait for the last movie to get here and go--I figure the craze will die down once that's done. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all for a break from Vampires... in fact, I think we all do! Hmmm... maybe I should say something nice about vampires...

    I'll get back to you on that one!

    -Becks

    ReplyDelete